Sunday, October 5, 2008

Ciao, Firenze!

After 4 awesome weeks in Florence, it's time to move on to our next stop -- Turkey. But before we leave, here is a random list of things I learned this past month......these are in no particular order and may only be interesting to me.

Hot chocolate in Florence is VERY rich.
The Mona Lisa was actually painted in Florence.
Pallavi and I would like to come back to Tuscany and visit Siena again during the Palio (big horse race run twice a year in the main town square).
Florence, like any other city, has residents that love it, and others that are very much down on it.
There isn't enough singing in US sports.
Evidence of a massive flood in 1966 can still be seen throughout Florence.
The word 'duomo' means cathedral.....and not all duomos are created equal.
Boston sports fans = ugly Americans.
Tuscan scenery is even more breathtaking with Andrea Bocelli playing on the car stereo.
As a local pointed out to us, Florence is basically one big open-air museum.
As boring as it may sound, my favorite flavor of gelato is chocolate.
I like the TV show 'House', and I look forward to watching it when we return to the US.
Florence is not a car-friendly city.
Even though I thoroughly enjoyed all the pizza we had here, my favorite type is still typical New York style pizza.
There's a difference between tourists and travelers. I think it comes down to the difference between doing and experiencing. I think the amount of time we had here allowed us to be travelers. My gut tells me that we'll be tourists in many of the places we'll be visiting over the next 3 months.

Thank you Florence! We can't wait to see you again.
Ciao for now.....talk to you from Turkey!

2 comments:

Raka said...

How funny!
We just discovered House in the states and are newly converted addicts!
Ciao!

Anonymous said...

wow, after reading all of your blogs, i feel like i was right there with you guys.
ben is looking forward to your escapades in turkey.