Saturday, December 27, 2008

The MelBOURNE Supremacy

The highlight of our one day in Melbourne was attending the 1st day of the Boxing Day (Dec 26) cricket test match between Australia and South Africa. For those of you who don't know anything about cricket, the Boxing Day match is an annual tradition in Melbourne....kinda like the Thanksgiving Day NFL games in Detroit and Dallas....only a much older tradition. And the Melbourne Cricket Grounds is considered to be one of the cathedrals of the sport.....like Fenway/Wrigley/Old Yankee Stadium for baseball or Madison Square Garden/Old Boston Garden for basketball. About 70,000 fans attended the first day of this 5-day match. I'm not gonna go into great detail about the sport of cricket.....if you'd like a full tutorial, feel free to contact my father. He'd be happy to talk to you about cricket for days. Anyway, it was a terrific day -- great atmosphere, great venue, and some great performances. I realize this won't mean much to most of you, but we were there to see Ricky Ponting score his 37th career test century, second only to India's Sachin Tendulkar, who has 41. Just trust me when I say that it was pretty cool. To paraphrase Pallavi - ''I think I like cricket a lot more than baseball.....it's much more elegant.'' Here are a few pictures from the day at Melbourne Cricket Grounds.

No comments: