Wednesday, November 5, 2008

So-fari, So Good

First of all, I encourage you to open this link in a separate window. Keep it open as background music while reading this entry.

Ok, now that you are really feeling 'Africa', let's get to it. After our 9 days at Peace House, we spent 5 days on safari, which we learned is a Swahili word meaning 'trip' (not just an animal-viewing trip). We rolled around in a tricked-out Land Rover with our awesome guide, Mweta, and explored Tarangire National Park, Lake Manyara National Park, and Ngorongoro Conservation Area. I'm probably a bit biased, but I think we had the perfect safari experience -- a terrific guide who taught us the ways of the world, amazing nature, and amazing animal sightings. We were very fortunate to see each of the 'big five' (elephant, lion, rhino, buffalo, leopard) and to witness an actual kill, as a cheetah patiently stalked a gazelle until he finally pounced and hunted down his lunch. Mweta told us that he doesn't remember the last time he led a safari on which both the 'big five' and a kill were seen. I think pictures tell the story a lot better than I can, so here are a bunch of pictures -- the two of us with Mweta, some random scenery shots, a Maasai guide explaining Maasai traditions to Pallavi, and of course, the animals. Enjoy the pictures, especially the ones of the animals........they're wild!









































7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet buffalo picture.

Unknown said...

wat!! u witnessed a kill...!!! now dont i envy u guys. that's indeed a big deal. way to go...

Unknown said...

My Dear Pallavi, - Keep a detail diary of your travels and observations and publish a book if you can. It would be very interesting reading. Enjoy. All the best -- Prakashmama

Anonymous said...

are you saying that MY writing hasn't made for interesting reading?? -- Akoo

Unknown said...

Who's the guy with the beard sticking his head out of the jeep? Kidding. I laughed at the music link to the African story. Very clever!

Anonymous said...

Jambo! Brian and I have enjoyed reading all about your adventures and keeping up on the latest scrabble standings too. I can't believe you saw a leopard and a kill, that is so incredible! Of all of the people we talked with when we were there, no one saw a leopard. I hope you continue to have good luck and a great time!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Amazing, I can’t believe you saw a real leopard attack!

I attempted to replicate the excitement Minnesota Style by having Sarah drive me around the neighborhood in our Toyota Matrix. With the moon roof popped, my safari hat on, and the video camera rolling I was ready for the adventure of a lifetime. I thought perhaps I would capture an owl attacking a raccoon or something, but sadly the only thing I have to show for my efforts is some footage of two barking dogs, one neighbor kid flicking me off, and a citation from the city.

Best wishes continuing to enjoy the real thing. --Brian