Thursday, September 11, 2008

il dolce far niente

I can't think of any place where people are more into ice cream. Wherever we go, there are hoards of people eating out of little cups with little spoons. There are 3 gelaterias on every street, at least. We usually just pick one per street. Amol has been sticking to cioccolato while I've had mostly nocciola (hazelnut) and nocciolato (hazelnut and chocolate -- basically, cold Nutella.) Sometimes I have stracciatella (cookies and cream, i think) -- but that's just because I like to say "stracciatella.") We've heard from a few sources that the best gelateria in Florence is this place called Vivoli. Vivoli is -- fortunately or unfortunately -- right outside our apartment.

I've decided I could never live in Europe because of all the smoking.

I'm happy that I've learned some key food words: vegetariana, decaffeinato, and pane integral (whole wheat bread). Raka, the Rick Steve's phrase book is a life-saver!

Today I learned that Amol loves raisins.

This American couple we met here (Matt & Sam from Milwaukee) said it was impossible to cross the street here because of all the scooters. Amol and i agreed: if they went to India, they would surely die.

There's this phrase here: il dolce far niente. the sweetness of doing nothing.

3 comments:

Lizzie Choffel said...

mmmm, I'm jealous of your ice cream adventures!

Juliegoose said...

If you combine this photo of Amol reading on the steps with his hat, with the photo of Pallavi in the awesome dress in front of the apartment doorway, there's just like 14 narratives waiting to happen. Too bad I'm not a fiction writer or I'd write some for you. (Mine would be all wrong - starting out like a soap opera preview and ending with a mini rock ballad. Basically the way I narrate everything.)

Nikki said...

I say, eat all the gelato you can without having to change your wardrobe! Once I left Florence I was immediately longing for great gelato. I too am jealous!